1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup tomato, diced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 (15.5-ounce) can black or navy beans, rinsed and drained
vegetable oil cooking spray
2 garlic cloves, minced (or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
1/3 cup mild picante sauce or salsa
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon lime juice (optional)
1 4-ounce can chopped green chilies (optional)
- Wash and prepare onion, tomato, and cilantro.
- Place beans in a bowl. Partially mash until chunky and set aside.
- Spray a non-stick frying pan with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic. Cook 4 minutes, or until tender.
- Add beans, tomato, salsa, cumin, and chili powder. Cook 5 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Add cheese and cilantro. Stir well.
- Stir in lime juice and green chilies, if desired.
- Serve with fresh vegetables such as bell peppers, carrots, broccoli, celery, or any other vegetable you like.
- Or serve with baked tortilla chips or whole-wheat crackers.
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Fruits and Vegetables: 1/3 cup
Fat: 2 g
Fiber: 5 g
Sodium: 320 mg