1 tablespoon canola oil
1 cup batatas or sweet potatoes, fresh, sliced
1/2 cup calabaza or winter squash, fresh, sliced
1/2 cup red bell pepper, fresh, seeded and sliced
1/2 cup green bell pepper, fresh, seeded and sliced
1 cup zucchini or other summer squash, fresh, sliced
1/2 cup rosita or eggplant, fresh, sliced
1 medium tomato, fresh, chopped
2 tablespoons Sofrito
- Wash all vegetables. Peel batatas, calabaza, and rosita. Slice all vegetables.
- In large fry pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add batatas, and cook until slightly softened.
- Add calabaza and cook until slightly softened.
- Add red and green bell peppers, then zucchini, then eggplant, then tomato, then Sofrito.
- Cook in covered pan for 4-5 minutes or until tender. If needed, add a small amount of water to keep the vegetables from sticking to pan.
- Serve over brown rice or whole-wheat pasta for a main dish or as a side dish with meat, fish, or chicken.
- A good source of vitamins A and C.
Serving size: 1 cup
Fruits and Vegetables: 1 cup
Fat: 3.5 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sodium: 20 mg