Fruits and Vegetables: ⅛ cup per serving
1 small onion, peeled
2 medium cubanelle peppers, seeded (if cubanelle peppers are not available, use 1 large green or red bell pepper)
1 cup aji dulce pappers, chopped
1 medium head of garlic, cloves peeled
2 large cilantro stems with leaves
4 large recao leaves (if recao is not availble, use an additional 4 cilantro stems with leaves)
- Wash and prepare fresh vegetables and herbs.
- In a blender or food processor, chop onion.
- Add aji dulce, garlic, cilantro, and recao and chop.
- Pour mixture into a jar with a tight fitting lid and refrigerate. Sofrito will keep 3—4 days.
- Use sofrito in recipes as a seasoning. Recipe yields 2 cup.
- Instead of refrigerating, freeze sofrito in ice cube strays. Once frozen, store cubes in a freezer bag. Each cube is about 1 serving.
Serving size: 2 tablespoons; Calories: 10; Carbohydrates: 2 g; Fiber: 1 g; Fat: 0 g; Saturated fat: 0 g; Sodium: 0 mg