1/2 medium onion, peeled and chopped
2 medium cubanelle peppers, seeds removed*
1 cup aji dulce peppers, chopped
1 medium head of garlic, peeled
4 full large stems with leaves of cilantro
4 large recao leaves, washed
*If cubanelle peppers are not available, use 1 large green or red bell pepper.
**If recao is not available, use an additional 4 stems with leaves of cilantro.
- Wash and prepare fresh vegetables and herbs.
- In blender or food processor, chop onion.
- Add cubanelle peppers and chop.
- Continue to add aji dulce, then garlic, then cilantro and recao and chop.
- Pour mixture into jar with tight fitting lid and refrigerate. Sofrito will keep for 3-4 days.
- Use Sofrito in recipes as a seasoning.
- Instead of refrigerating Sofrito, freeze in ice cube trays. Once frozen, place frozen cubes in freezer bag. Each cube is about 2 tablespoons of Sofrito.
Serving size: 2 tablespoons
Fruits and Vegetables: 1/8 cup
Fat: 0 g
Fiber: 0 g
Sodium: 0 mg