1 onion, washed, peeled, chopped
1 cup pipian*, washed, chopped
1 cup ayote*, washed, peeled, seeds removed, chopped
1 cup cooked white beans (rinse and drained if using canned), mashed
4 cups water
dash salt and pepper
*For more information on pipian and ayote, visit: www.worldcrops.org
- Wash and prepare vegetables.
- Boil water in a large saucepan.
- Add onion, pipian, and ayote; cook until slightly firm.
- Add mashed white beans, season with salt and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat and stir.
- Top with parmesan cheese and serve with toasted whole-wheat bread.
- Add some fresh tomatoes, cooked pasta, and ground cooked turkey for a hearty twist to this traditional soup.
- Add some mixed canned or frozen vegetables.
- Cut off the top of a bowl shaped bread, remove the center, and pour in the soup for a fun and tasty meal.
Serving size: 1 cup
Fruits and Vegetables: 1/2 cup
Fat: 0 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sodium: 105 mg