2 large ears yellow sweet corn on the cob (1 cup kernels)
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
1/2 cup ripe tomato, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed, diced
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon salt
black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F.
- Remove a few of the outer leaves of the corn and all the silks (“hair”). Do not completely remove husk.
- Pull back the husk and wash the corn. Wrap the husk back around the corn and place on a baking sheet. Loosely cover corn with aluminum foil. Bake on middle rack for 45 to 55 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let corn cool completely.
- While the corn is cooling, wash and prepare the tomato, onion, cilantro, and jalapeño pepper.
- Peel the corn. Cut the kernels from the ear to yield about 1 cup.
- Combine corn with the other vegetables. Add oil and mix well.
- Add lime juice, cumin, salt, and black pepper to taste.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
- The salsa tastes best served the same day, but it can also be made ahead.
- Roasting the corn in the oven (or barbeque grill) allows the corn on the cob to cook more slowly. The corn gets sweeter and has a richer flavor than boiled corn.
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Fruits and Vegetables: 1/2 cup
Fat: 4 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sodium: 75 mg