3 pounds chicken pieces, skin removed
2 cups tomatoes, fresh or canned, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced (or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder)
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup canned mild chilies, diced
2 cups cooked pinto or garbanzo beans (rinsed and drained if using canned)
- Wash and prepare vegetables and chicken.
- Place chicken pieces in large saucepan. Add enough water to cover the chicken.
- Cook until tender, about 25 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Remove chicken pieces from the broth. Add tomatoes, garlic, onion and chilies to the broth.
- Remove chicken meat from the bones and return meat to the broth.
- Add beans and simmer about 15 minutes.
- Always thaw meat in the refrigerator and never on the counter.
- Wash hands and everything that comes in contact with raw meat in hot, soapy water before touching other ingredients, equipment and work places. This avoids cross-contamination.
- Serve with a green salad and whole-wheat bread.
- Removing the skin from the chicken lowers the fat content.
Serving size: 1 cup
Fruits and Vegetables: 1/4 cup
Fat: 4.5 g
Fiber: 4 g
Sodium: 80 mg