1 large tomato, chopped
1/4 cup parsley, chopped, or 5 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
1/4 cup scallions, chopped (optional)
1 carrot, grated
1 (10 oz) bag frozen peas
1 (15.5 oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
21/2 cups water
2 cups dry couscous
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Wash and prepare vegetables and parsely (if using fresh). Chop walnuts if using.
- Bring water to a boil and add couscous. Stir quickly.
- Cover, remove from stove, and let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine lemon juice, oil, and pepper to make dressing.
- Add couscous mixture to dressing and stir gently to blend.
- Add chopped tomato, parsley, scallions, carrot, walnuts (if desired), kidney beans, cheddar cheese, and peas. Mix gently.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. May be served warm or cold.
- Try whole-wheat couscous for extra fiber.
Serving size: 1 cup
Fruits and Vegetables: 1/3 cup
Fat: 4.5 g
Fiber: 5 g
Sodium: 240 mg