1 cup maxixe, diced
1 cup tomato, diced fine and seeded
1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup red onion, diced
2 teaspoons mint, fresh, finely chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon mint, dried, crushed)
1 tablespoon scallions, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons lime juice, fresh
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, minced and seeded (optional)
1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)
1. Wash and prepare fresh vegetables and herbs.
2. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and gently mix.
- Serve with baked tortilla chips, whole-wheat crackers, or raw vegetables.
- Use salsa as a sauce over baked or broiled chicken, fish, or tofu.
- Add 1/2 cup corn or black beans for more color and flavor.
This vegetable is similar to the cucumber and is popular in Northern Brazil and the West Indies where it is called West Indian gherkin. It can be eaten raw and has a slight lemony taste. In Brazil, the variety of seed is called "Maxixe do norte" ("Maxixe of the north" in Portuguese). In this part of Brazil, it is used in salads and soups, and cooked with beef dishes.
Serving size: 1 cup
Fruits and Vegetables: 1 cup
Fat: 3.5 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sodium: 105 mg