2 tablespoons canola oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 medium onion, sliced thin
1 medium yellow squash, sliced and quartered
1 medium zucchini, sliced and quartered
4 plum tomatoes, sliced and quartered
1/2 cup water
3 jilo*, sliced and quartered
black pepper to taste
*Jilo is a Brazilian eggplant known for its slightly bitter flavor. For more information on Brazilian crops, visit: www.worldcrops.org
- Wash and prepare fresh vegetables.
- Heat oil in wok or large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add jilo and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add water, yellow squash, zucchini, and tomatoes.
- Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Jilo should be tender and soft when poked by a fork.
- Add pepper to taste.
- Serve with brown rice, over whole-wheat pasta, or by itself.
Serving size: 1 cup
Fruits and Vegetables: 1 cup
Fat: 3 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sodium: 0 mg