12 medium carrots (2 pounds), peeled and ends removed
11/2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
2 tablespoons 100% orange juice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Wash carrots.
- Slice carrots into "coin-shaped" pieces.
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. Add carrots, then cook and stir for about 5 minutes.
- Add the juice, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper. Cook until carrots are tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Cool slightly, then serve.
- This recipe in an excellent source of vitamins A and K and a good source of fiber, potassium, and vitamins B6 and C.
- Carrots can be orange, yellow, red, purple, black, or white.
- At one time, people grew carrots for their fragrant leaves and seeds. Today, we usually eat the root part of the plant.
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Fruits and Vegetables: 1/2 cup
Fat: 1.5 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sodium: 45 mg