The Landscape Message is an educational newsletter intended to inform and guide horticultural professionals in the management of our collective landscape. Scouts compile and record environmental and phenological data for locations throughout Massachusetts to aid in the monitoring of plant and pest development, the planning of management strategies, and the creation of site-specific records for future reference. Detailed reports from Extension specialists on growing conditions, pest activity, and cultural practices for the management of woody ornamentals, trees, and turf are regular features.
The Landscape Message allows landscapers, arborists, turf managers, nursery growers, garden designers and other practitioners to be in touch with local trends and challenges. The following information is commonly available for turf and landscape plant materials:
- Weather and general conditions reports
- Insect activity and population development
- Disease occurrences and potential disease problems
- Growing degree day reports
- Phenology information for key indicator plants
- Cultural problems and solutions
- Pest management strategies, including Integrated Pest Management
Approximately 24 messages are published each year. A new message is available weekly during the heart of the growing season, bi-weekly in mid to late summer, and monthly in the fall. Subscribe to our e-mail list to receive notification in your inbox when each new message is posted.